Job Title: Project Manager
- The provision of a professional Estates design, technical advice and construction management service to client Trusts.
- This includes the direct management and supervision of schemes for all building and development matters associated with the Trust Estate.
- All such schemes are implemented to agreed costs, timescales and the required quality standards in order to provide a modern, efficient and sustainable Estates portfolio and to enable the effective delivery of patient care.
- To directly manage the provision of Building Improvement schemes through construction contractors and external specialist consultants and surveyors to meet the requirements of the Trust Estates and Service strategies and the associated Capital and Major Revenue programmes.
- Responsibility for the design, detailed specification, planning, implementation and project management, and contract administration of capital and major revenue projects.
- To deputise for the Estates Development Team Manager when required to do so.
- In terms of representation at and reporting into Client Trust Capital Groups and Boards and in relation to the Management of the Projects Team.
Formal Qualifications, education & training required
- Higher National Certificate in Building Construction or Engineering Services and/or further experience and knowledge gained equivalent to degree level
- Other courses and experience to provide specialist knowledge in the application of building construction principles into a project discipline
Essential skills and competencies
Wide knowledge and understanding of:
- Health Service Capital Investment and procurement procedures – in order to ensure transparency and fairness when tendering for, and appointing, contractors to capital schemes.
- Trust standing financial instructions, regulations and financial systems relating to Capital Investment – in order to apply and maintain financial controls on all schemes and projects.
- Contracts for Building Construction and Engineering schemes – in order to ensure that all capital and revenue schemes are carried out in accordance with industry and NHS requirements for robust contract control. An in depth understanding and knowledge of:
- NHS Estate code (Estate Management and asset utilisation) and Concode principles (procurement through selective competitive tendering)– in support of the development and maintenance of the NHS Estate.
Specialist knowledge of:
- Building Construction methods and/or Engineering Industry works and legislation – in order to ensure that all schemes are completed to a high degree of quality and to NHS and Industry standards.
- To also provide a degree of originality and creativeness which will enhance the healing environment whilst achieving required standards of quality, space utilisation and functional suitability.
- Local Authority Planning and Building Control guidelines – in order to process accurate and timely planning applications and building control approval applications in support of all relevant Capital Schemes on behalf of a range of Client Trusts.
- In depth experience in design, specification and negotiation of construction projects, capital project management and administration of construction contract matters.
- Minimum 5 years experience (post qualification) in a senior level of project and contract management and administration in the construction or engineering industry.
- Specialist knowledge and experience across a range of work procedures in connection with construction and building works including legislation to HNC or degree level or equivalent experience.
- Project management experience/knowledge at senior level, underpinned by theoretical knowledge or relevant experience in both the private and public sectors.
- In depth experience of leading and managing a diverse group of staff by providing advice to colleagues in own work space area and day to day supervision of staff within a department.
- In depth experience of design and construction contract formats and procedures.
- In depth experience in the use of Word processing, Spreadsheets and project management software.
The salary banding for any NHS post has a clearly defined start point, and salary progression based on nationally negotiated pay scales (Agenda for Change). These bandings and pay points are widely available https://www.nhsemployers.org/pay-pensions-and-reward/agenda-for-change/pay-scales/annual
The agreed starting point for any post is at the bottom of the pay scale with annual progression until the top of the pay scale is reached. Candidates should expect to start on the bottom of the pay scale for the role they are considering unless they have previous directly related NHS experience in a similar role.