Healthcare Sector Technical Engineer
England – Inner London, England – Outer London, England – South East
Mott MacDonald are a global engineering, management and development consultancy. Our purpose is to improve society by considering social outcomes in everything we do, relentlessly focusing on excellence and digital innovation, transforming our clients’ businesses, our communities and employee opportunities.
The need to develop services that are able to meet tomorrow’s healthcare needs, means that Mott MacDonald has never been more involved in shaping global healthcare policy and facility provision.
Your role will be to support the Deputy Healthcare Technical MEP Lead and National Healthcare Technical MEP Lead in an advisory capacity on the New Hospital Programme and assist with project delivery on healthcare projects going forward.
We want to recruit a candidate who will provide, at a national level, technical advisory support to the divisional teams delivering healthcare projects. The role will also include technical support to bid activity and client relationship building – primarily through thought leadership on matters such as net zero carbon route mapping, hospital shell and core design, technical advisory work for capital works, and the adoption of modern methods of construction. The candidate will be self-motivated and capable of delivering high quality technical advisory services with the minimum of supervision to time and budget. As part of a wider practice network the Healthcare team has developed reputation for work winning, successful project delivery and technical excellence.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate and take positive steps to create an inclusive culture.
The opportunity now exists for an individual to join this enthusiastic and growing team and to develop their career within the built environment health sector at Mott MacDonald – one of our primary business plan growth areas.
you will: –
- Have responsibility for all aspects of assigned project work.
- Support local project delivery staff on technical aspects of the health sector; act as technical mentor.
- Working and liaising with associated engineering disciplines as part of bidding and delivering technical support.
- Client facing on matters of a technical nature in the health sector.
- Support senior managers running the commercial and contractual side of healthcare projects.
As a Healthcare Sector Technical Engineer you will be involved in a range of small to large projects within our healthcare sector technical advisory team. The role will be challenging, demanding, varied and offer opportunities for skill set and career development.
You will work autonomously within a team carrying out technical advisory commissions, with a bias towards mechanical engineering design. You will potentially manage several projects and the work of others.
The key elements of the role are (but not limited to);
- Managing the delivery of assigned healthcare sector technical advisory projects.
- Working and liaising with associated engineering disciplines as part of delivering projects – primarily in the health sector.
- Management of internal and external stakeholders.
- Responsible for managing external stakeholders, ensuring client satisfaction and pursuing and promoting opportunities with potential and established clients.
- Be familiar with using relevant industry software (eg Amtech, IES, Relux, Revit etc).
- Developing, maintaining and monitoring programmes for scheduling and reporting on deliverables across specific projects.
- Maximising profitability of projects, monitoring against budget, reacting and anticipating potential problems and communicating in line with client expectations.
- Demonstrating technical expertise, providing in depth knowledge whilst proactively coaching and developing less experienced team members.
Required for the position of Technical engineer;
- A fully qualified and experienced senior professional having the breadth of experience, ability and maturity to make good decisions across the key areas of their recognised discipline and demonstrating one or more of the following attributes:
- Have experience of leading on building services commissions and some multi-disciplinary projects.
- Have experience of mentoring and leading graduate engineers
- Be enthusiastic and ambitious.
- Possess excellent communication skills, including report writing and presentation.
- Have the ability to lead elements of one large project or a portfolio of smaller projects.
- Have some experience of managing client relationships and expectations with accountability for one or more key customer relationships and delivery of outputs.
- Working as a specialist providing high level advice to others.
- Track record of achievement and innovation, delivering complex projects or new services.
- Managing and supervising the work of other professionally qualified staff.
- Well-developed professional network externally and desire to build internal networks within the organisation.
If you meet 80% or more of what we’re looking for, please still apply. We understand not everyone will meet all the requirements, but you might have skills we didn’t know we need.
About the business unit
The Buildings and Cities Unit (BNC) has a major presence in Mott MacDonald’s regional offices throughout the UK and mainland Europe, providing a wide range of diverse and transferable cross-sector skills across five key Sectors; Advisory, Built Environment, Energy, Transportation and Water. We also provide local services to customers and technical leadership to the rest of the Group in these sectors.
How to apply
To apply for this role, please complete our 15-minute application via our website. Our talent acquisition coordinators aim to provide feedback within 5 working days with the outcome of your application. More information about our application process can be found here. If you have any questions regarding your application or the role, please reach out to the dedicated recruiter listed who will be more than happy to help.