The Pharmafilter upstream or decentralized waste and wastewater treatment system offers significant benefits to the host hospital, the local community/municipality, and the environment at large. The treatment unit is designed to meet the complete decontamination requirements of the specific wastes generated in hospitals. This purpose-built system has none of the gaps or potential failures of more available designs or methods. This allows the hospital to eliminate the hazardous element of all waste shipped offsite. Therefore, the hazardous material is neither transported through the local community nor shipped out of the country, as is currently the case with some healthcare risk wastes.
The Pharmafilter on-site system and operation method is a combined approach to efficiently and economically managing healthcare-generated wastes, wastewaters at the source. The platform improves service delivery and achieves better outcomes for the hospital, its patients, staff, and the environment.
The Pharmafilter System is designed to: –
- Substantially reduce waste and eliminate associated waste management costs.
- Decontaminate and recycle water used by the hospital and reduce costs.
- Process and decontaminate all hospital-originating hazardous substances/materials, with none entering the
- Automate the transport and decontamination of hospital arising waste material.
- Remove buffering, storing, and reduce internal waste movement throughout the hospital.
- Enable cleaner, safer more efficient working practices with the potential to render many parts of existing source segregation waste management procedures obsolete.
- Create a platform to develop new approaches for reducing the risk of hospital-acquired infections notably Diff and improved efficiencies around Norovirus breakout.
- Prevent the discharge of anti-microbials, pharmaceuticals, and all other healthcare-specific contaminants micro-pollutants and pathogens in hospital wastewater to public infrastructure. AMR and Covid 19
- Harvest energy from the organic fraction of the wastes processed on-site (Biogas)
- Convert to energy the non-organic fraction of waste of high calorific value with 100% diversion from landfill. (RDF)
- Develop data and critical information on waste, wastewater management, influent and effluent.
- Future proof for legislation, increased associated cost including improved clinical cost-benefit opportunities.
- Better and improved uses of resources and increased safety in related waste handling.
- Reduction of truck movement servicing the waste
When fully optimized, hospitals are supported and empowered to make real progress towards meeting carbon reduction targets and progressively improve both their carbon and environmental footprint.
Funding As a Service: Design-Build, Finance, Permit, Maintain, Operate and Own
The “As a Service” basis to the Hospital or Health Service Authority is founded on an in-depth business case identifying areas of savings capable of being generated by the Pharmafilter system at each site. It delivers a lifetime operational framework for the client regarding finance, operations, project management, delivery, security of supply, insurances, KPI, environmental and statuary regulation, increased volume, and future emission limits. The engagement incorporates a complete turnkey solution including design, build, permit, maintenance, ownership, and operation. This approach passes the long-term Operational responsibilities unto Pharmafilter and significantly relieves the hospital’s capital and associated operational budget pressure.