Engineering Technicians share their experiences and explain the benefits of registration to their career.
Engineering Technicians apply proven techniques and procedures to the solution of practical engineering problems.
Engineering Technicians are required to apply safe systems of work and are able to demonstrate:
- Evidence of their contribution to either the design, development, manufacture, commissioning, decommissioning, operation or maintenance of products, equipment, processes or services
- Supervisory or technical responsibility
- Effective interpersonal skills in communicating technical matters
- Commitment to professional engineering values.
Benefits of Engineering Technician professional qualification
- Recognition of your expertise and hard work
- Higher earnings potential
- Improved career prospects
- Greater influence within your organisation and industry
- Access to life-long learning resources
- Letters after your name, e.g. J. Smith EngTech
The Engineering Technician professional qualification is open to anyone who can demonstrate the required professional competences and commitment.
Typically, applicants will have successfully completed an Advanced/Modern Apprenticeship or other work based learning programme approved by an engineering institution.
This can lead directly to Engineering Technician registration.
or, alongside appropriate working experience, they will hold:
- an Edexcel BTEC Level 3 Certificate or Diploma in Engineering or in Construction and the Built Environment
- or a qualification, approved by a professional engineering institution, in engineering or construction set at level 3 (or above) in the Qualifications and Credit Framework or at level 6 (or above) in the Scottish Credit and Qualifications Framework
- or equivalent qualifications approved by a professional engineering institution, such as IHEEM.
Individuals without formal qualifications may also apply for Engineering Technician registration by demonstrating they have acquired the necessary competence through substantial working experience.
The UK SPEC provides details of the competence required for Engineering Technician registration.
The IHEEM team can provide further information and will advise and support you throughout the registration process.
How to Apply for Engineering Technician
You may apply for EngTech through IHEEM.
If you are not already a member of IHEEM, details of the additional benefits and how to apply may be found here.
Engineering Technician eBook
Download a copy of the EngTech ebook, the definitive guide to advancing your career in engineering by becoming an Engineering Technician.