Job Title: Head of Estates
Undertakes Divisional senior management and leadership role (at multi – site Trust level) across the Trust’s built environment and associated engineering systems including implementing appropriate associated governance / assurance arrangements. Trust duties as the Responsible Person / Nominated Person across numerous Statutory roles including Asbestos and Legionella etc. Reports directly to the Associate Director – Estates & Facilities with professional accountability for the Trust’s Operational Estates service.
Formal Qualifications, education & training required
Ideally holds a Masters Degree in an engineering discipline
Holds a Degree within an engineering discipline
Ideally has developed a career from a craft or technical apprenticeship background
Essential skills and competencies
• Understanding of estates management and the obligation of the professional estates lead in the context of a large acute NHS Trust.
• Statutory standards, legislation and NHS technical guidance that applies to estate management.
• Excellent written and oral communication.
• Ability to work on own initiative but also to recognise boundaries and responsibilities.
• Effective time management.
• Proven decision maker and problem solver using highly advanced analytical skills.
• Ability to apply frequent concentration in unpredictable circumstances, use own initiative and work independently.
• Proven ability to keep information confidential.
• Ability to develop and implement innovative solutions
• Excellent interpersonal skills.
Desirable skills and competencies
• Understanding of the configuration of the NHS and the requirements to achieve Foundation Trust Status
• Understanding of acute hospitals engineering systems, fire safety and Health & Safety
• Experience of writing and presenting reports and documents at Committee /Board meetings.
• Political awareness in healthcare terms.
At least 5 years post qualification experience of successfully managing Estates activities preferably within an NHS Healthcare background.
Experience of budgetary responsibility, cost improvement plans and QIPP.
Significant experience of facilitating and managing change.
The salary banding for any NHS post has a clearly defined start point, and salary progression based on nationally negotiated pay scales (Agenda for Change). These bandings and pay points are widely available https://www.nhsemployers.org/pay-pensions-and-reward/agenda-for-change/pay-scales/annual
The agreed starting point for any post is at the bottom of the pay scale with annual progression until the top of the pay scale is reached. Candidates should expect to start on the bottom of the pay scale for the role they are considering unless they have previous directly related NHS experience in a similar role.