This three-day City & Guilds accredited course has been developed to provide you with both the legal and technical knowledge needed to control Legionella within hot and cold-water systems in the healthcare environment. Throughout this course you will cover the statutory regulations that you will encounter when working within a healthcare environment, focusing on the Scottish Health Technical Memorandum 04-01: Water Safety for Healthcare Premises (SHTM 04-01), ACOP L8 and HSG274 Part 2. You will also gain a thorough understanding of water system designs, their inherent risks and the testing and control required to ensure your water systems are SHTM 04-01 compliant.
Who is the course aimed at?
This Legionella control course has been designed for the healthcare environment and is appropriate for anyone who is involved in the management or the operation of hot and cold water systems.
Completion of this SHTM 04-01 compliant Legionella course will ensure that you will have an understanding of the most up to date statutory regulations. In addition to the vital knowledge you will gain, this City & Guilds accredited certificate is formal recognition of your skills and knowledge.
Key Learning Areas
- Legal issues, including statutory obligations
- ACOP L8 and HSG274 part 2
- SHTM 04-01 Water Safety Group and Water Safety Plan
- The sources, risks and medical aspects of Legionellosis with reference to its occurrence, ecology and transmission routes
- The identification of susceptible areas within a healthcare water system including storage cisterns, calorifiers, terminal fittings and associated distributing pipework
- Recommended methods of system modification and design to minimise colonisation by reference to the Water Supply (Water Fittings) Regulations, guidance documents and the use of approved water fittings
- Guidance on installation, and monitoring of thermostatic mixing valves
- Treatment and control programmes in accordance with SHTM 04-01
- Water sampling methods and required actions
- Principles of disinfection
- Records, reports and log books
- Course assessments
This course is run over 3 days.
Everything is provided for the course duration