Is this course for you?
This course is for lift release wardens and other staff who are required to release trapped passengers from a building’s lift system in non-emergency situations. This may include estate officers, maintenance technicians, porters, security staff and caretakers.
According to BS7255 & HTM 08-02, those responsible for the release of passengers trapped in a lift should be approved by the management; please keep this in mind when booking your place.
To provide learners with the necessary skills and knowledge to carry out the release of passengers from electric traction (including MRLs) and hydraulic lift installations in a safe and responsible manner, with minimum time delay and damage.
By the end of the course you will be able to:
- Identify the current standards and legislation relevant to the release of trapped passengers
- Identify the electrical and mechanical safety features, aspects and safe working procedures with respect to; electrical equipment, rotating machinery, safety of personnel and releasing passengers from electric traction, hydraulic and machine room less lifts
- Apply the principles of the release of trapped passengers from a lift in accordance with BS7255, HTM 08-02 and other guidance
- Safely work with other personnel in the release of trapped passengers
- Identify when the escalation procedure should be applied
- Leave the lift installation in a safe condition
This course is normally run at a customer’s premises.
It is mainly practical, with some formal classroom work and assessment of competency. Due to the practical nature of the course, learners should bring a pair of overalls.
Certificates will be specific to the lift type you have been trained in.
HTM 08-02 states that staff nominated to carry out the release of trapped passengers should undertake refresher training every 12 months. The full release of trapped passengers course should be completed every 3 years.
We can deliver annual refresher training which would normally run at your own premises.
Please see attached calendar for upcoming course dates. Further dates may be available, please see our website.
Some of our courses can be delivered on-site (for 6 or more people), please contact us for more information.
This is a City & Guilds Assured course.